Loving LibX

A few days ago, Kathryn Greenhill blogged about LibX, a Firefox plugin created by Virginia Tech Libraries that customizes a wonderful library toolbar to add to your browser. Here's an illustration pointing out some of its features:


I've been wanting to figure out how to customize a Firefox search bar for our catalog for ages. This is even better. And the best part? It was easy. I found the interface of the LibX edition builder a little confusing at first, but once I figured out that it was saving what I input and signed up so I could come back and edit my creation, it was so simple that it didn't take much longer than Photoshopping the above illustration of the finished project.

LibX is set up to automatically detect settings for several major OPAC systems, so all I had to do was confirm them. The only feature I haven't got working is the authentication for articles/databases, because I need to get some info from a librarian at our main library.

There is also an Internet Explorer version that is automatically set up along with the Firefox version, though it is missing a couple features. I haven't gotten it to install on my computer, but one of our other librarians did.

LibX NSU Law has only been around for a day or so, and I want to play with it more before sharing the link or otherwise publicizing it at the library. But did I mention how wonderful and simple it is? I should also add amazing, cool, and just what I was looking for. I'm not in general a fan of browser toolbars, but so far I completely love LibX.

To learn more and see it in action, check out Kathryn's screencast, What Does LibX Do?.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

This site is closed as of May 2010. The new url is http://megkribble.net.

Creative Commons License

Locations of visitors to this page

i am a major geek

Change Congress

Labels